- Has 34 years of experience in college coaching. He served as Vanderbilt's head coach in 2010 after eight years as offensive line coach with the Commodores.
- A big reason Clemson won the 2011 ACC Championship for the first time in 20 years.
- In 2011, he helped the Tiger offense set many school records, including yards per game (440.8). His center, Dalton Freeman, was a Rimington Trophy finalist and a First-Team All-ACC selection.
- Moved with Dick Sheridan to N.C. State in 1986. He was a part of a resurgence of Wolfpack football, as he helped Sheridan turn the 3-8 team of 1985 into an 8-3-1 club that beat three AP top-25 teams in 1986. Caldwell was on the staff at N.C. State when it defeated Clemson three straight years (1986-88).
- Served under Sheridan for eight years and Furman won six league titles during that era. He coached eight first-team all-conference players and five recipients of the SoCon's Jacobs Blocking Trophy.
- Coached the Wolfpack offensive line for 11 years, then added assistant head coaching responsibilities in his last three years. Fourteen of his players were All-ACC picks.
- Coached at North Carolina in 2000 and 2001. The 2001 Tar Heels won eight games.
- Joined Clemson graduate Bobby Johnson's staff at Vanderbilt in 2002.
- Was a part of the 2008 Vanderbilt staff that guided it to its first winning season and bowl game in 26 years. It defeated Boston College in the Music City Bowl, Vanderbilt's first bowl win since 1955. That year, Vanderbilt also defeated South Carolina and Auburn.
- Named Vanderbilt head coach in 2010 after Bobby Johnson retired. He won at Mississippi in his first road game.
- Started his coaching career as a student assistant at Furman under Art Baker in 1976 and became a full-time offensive line coach with the Paladins under Dick Sheridan in 1978. In 1977, he served as football and baseball coach at Hanahan (SC) High School.
Lettered three years at Furman under Art Baker, including his senior season (1975) when he was named team MVP and offensive captain.
Degree from Furman in 1977.
Born January 26, 1954 in Pageland, SC...he and his wife, Nora Lynn, have one daughter, Emsley.