• Has a staff-high 36 years of experience in college coaching and a staff-high 418 college games as a coach.
• Clemson has a 32-8 record and has three top-25 final rankings in his three years on staff.
• In 2012, he coached first-team All-American Dalton Freeman (C) and Thomas, a First-Team All-ACC pick. Freeman was a Rimington Trophy finalist for the second year in a row.
• A big reason Clemson won the 2011 ACC Championship for the first time in 20 years.
• In 2011, he helped the Tiger offense set many school records. His center, Freeman, was a Rimington Trophy finalist and a First-Team All-ACC selection.
• Served as Vanderbilt’s head coach in 2010 after eight years as offensive line coach at Vanderbilt.
• Was a part of the 2008 Vanderbilt staff that guided it to its first winning season and bowl game in 26 years. It defeated Boston College in the Music City Bowl, Vanderbilt’s first bowl win since 1955. That year, Vanderbilt also defeated South Carolina and Auburn.
• Joined Clemson graduate Bobby Johnson’s staff at Vanderbilt in 2002.
• Coached at North Carolina in 2000 and 2001.
• Moved with Dick Sheridan to NC State in 1986. He was part of a Wolfpack resurgence, as he helped turn a 3-8 team (1985) into an 8-3-1 club that beat three AP top-25 teams in 1986. He was on the NC State staff when it beat Clemson three straight years (1986-88).
• Coached the Wolfpack offensive line for 11 years, then added assistant head coaching responsibilities in his last three years. Fourteen of his players were All-ACC picks.
• Served under Sheridan for eight years and Furman won six league titles during that era. He coached eight first-team all-conference players and five recipients of the SoCon’s Jacobs Blocking Trophy.
• Started his coaching career as a student assistant at Furman under Art Baker in 1976 and became a full-time offensive line coach with the Paladins under Sheridan in 1978. In 1977, he served as football and baseball coach at Hanahan (S.C.) High School.
Lettered three years at Furman under Art Baker, including his senior season (1975) when he was named team MVP and offensive captain.
Degree from Furman in 1977.
Born Jan. 26, 1954 in Pageland, S.C. ... he and his wife, Nora Lynn, have a daughter, Emsley.