What: 2017 ACC Women’s Basketball Tournament First Round
Who: No. 13 Seed Clemson Tigers (14-15, 3-13 ACC) vs. No. 12 Seed Virginia Tech (17-12, 4-12 ACC)
When: Wednesday, March 1 at 1 p.m.
Where: HTC Center, Conway, S.C.
TV: RSN/ACC Network Extra, Jenn Hildreth & LaChina Robinson (http://theacc.co/wbb17watch)
Radio: CTSN, Don Munson & Kelly Gramlich (http://bit.ly/1NT0HAo)
Live Stats: theACC.com (http://www.theacc.com/page/championship_w-baskbl)
Follow: Twitter & Instagram @ClemsonWBB
- Clemson (14-15, 3-13 ACC) concluded the ACC regular season with a 72-58 road loss at Georgia Tech on Feb. 23. Junior Nelly Perry led all scorers with 22 points, and added five rebounds, four assists and two steals in the contest. Freshman Kobi Thornton posted 14 points, seven rebounds and three blocked shots.
- Perry leads the Tigers in scoring (12.7 ppg) and assists (2.9 apg).
- Sophomore Aliyah Collier is second on the team in scoring (10.1 ppg) and leads the team in rebounding (8.0 rpg). The 8.0 per game rebounding average ranks sixth in the ACC.
- Sophomore Danielle Edwards has started every game for the Tigers at the point guard position and is third on the team in scoring at 9.4 ppg. She leads the team in steals (1.8 spg) and in minutes played per game (32.2).
- Thornton has had a solid freshman season, averaging 9.0 ppg and 5.8 rpg. She leads the Tigers in blocked shots, averaging 1.3 per game. Thornton’s .538 field goal percentage is eighth among all players in the ACC.
- Junior Ivy Atkism, who has started every game for the Tigers this season, was named to the 2017 All-State WBCA Good Works Team on Feb. 7, which rewards student-athletes for community service. She is the first Clemson basketball player, male or female, to earn the honor.
- Clemson won its first eight games of the season, the program’s best start since the 1998-99 season. The Tigers entered ACC play with an 11-2 record, the program’s best nonconference record since the 2003-04 season.
- The all-time series between Clemson and Virginia Tech is tied at 10-10.
- The Tigers have a 1-0 record against the Hokies in games played at neutral sites. The game was Clemson’s last ACC Tournament win, a 69-56 victory on March 5, 2014 in Greensboro, N.C.
- When the two teams met during the regular season, on Jan. 8 in Clemson, S.C., the Hokies defeated the Tigers, 78-69. Danielle Edwards led the Tigers with 18 points, and Aliyah Collier recorded a double-double, with 10 points and 13 rebounds.