Match Information vs. Virginia
Who: No. 33 Virginia Cavaliers (7-8, 5-3 ACC) at Clemson Tigers (8-10, 3-6 ACC)
When: Friday, April 7, 5 p.m.
Where: Hoke Sloan Tennis Center, Clemson, S.C.
Live Stats: ClemsonTigers.com (http://clemsontigers.com/fls/28500/tennisstats/xlive.htm)
- The first 50 students at Friday’s women’s tennis match will receive free Chick-fil-A.
- Clemson (8-10, 3-6 ACC) is coming off of a 5-2 loss on the road at No. 17 Duke on April 2. The Tigers won the doubles point against the Blue Devils, and junior Daniela Ruiz won her match at No. 6 singles.
- The Tigers have already faced three opponents ranked in the top six in the nation and five ranked in the top 25 so far this season. The Cavaliers are currently ranked 33rd nationally.
- Individually, sophomore Ayan Broomfield is 97th in the nation in singles, while Broomfield and classmate Marie-Alexandre Leduc are 31st nationally in doubles.
- Leduc is 9-6 in dual singles matches, including 6-3 in ACC play, on the season. Last weekend, she upset the No. 55 singles player in the nation, Martina Frantova of NC State, 6-4, 6-4 on the road in Raleigh.
- Two Tiger doubles teams have seen significant success this season. Broomfield and Leduc are 10-3 in dual doubles matches and 6-2 in conference play, while Ruiz and sophomore Fernanda Navarro are 9-1 overall and 6-1 in ACC matches.
- Two Tigers earned ACC Player of the Week honors in two consecutive weeks earlier this season. Broomfield garnered the award on March 6, and freshman Constanza Gorches did so on March 13.
- Clemson’s 2017 roster is made up of one junior, five sophomores and two freshmen.
- Head Coach Nancy Harris is in her 20th season with the Tigers. In her first 19 seasons at the helm of the program, Harris took the Tigers to the NCAA Tournament 17 times, including 15-consecutive years from 2002-16.
Series Information vs. Virginia:
- The Tigers have a 35-10 all-time advantage in the series against the Cavaliers.
- Last season, Virginia, ranked 16th nationally, swept the Tigers on the road in Charlottesville on March 6, 2016.
ITA RANKINGS (as of April 4, 2017)
Virginia – 33rd
Rosie Johanson (Virginia) – 43rd
Ayan Broomfield (Clemson) – 97th
Cassie Mercer (Virginia) – 116th
Mercer & Chloe Gullickson – 30th
Broomfield & Marie-Alexandre Leduc (Clemson) – 31st