Clemson University Large Co-ed Cheerleading
The Large Co-ed Cheerleading Squad is a varsity team that cheers for home football games, select away football games, home men's basketball games and select home volleyball matches. All cheerleaders MUST have tremendous game day appeal, SPIRIT and dance ability.
Female Tumbling Requirements:
- Standing Tuck
- Triple Toe Tuck
- Standing Handspring Tuck, Layout or Full
- Round-off Back Handspring Layout or better
Male Tumbling Requirements:
- Standing Tuck
- Toss Extension
- Toss Hands, Stretch or Scorpion, Double Down
- Recommended Advanced Skills: Toss Liberty, Ball Up Stretch, Full Up, Rewind, etc.
The Co-ed cheerleaders are limited to specific skills on a basketball court surface because of safety rules. The following skills are prohibited during a basketball game.
- Basket tosses of any kind
- Stunts in which the base uses only one arm to support the top person
- Flips or released twists into or from partner stunts unless they are braced by both sides
- Two and one half person high pyramids *College Pyramids
- Inversions in stunts or pyramids
- Twisting tumbling skills
Co-ed Practice Schedule/Commitment:
Being a Clemson cheerleader is a time commitment. Co-ed cheerleaders practice 2-3 times a week while in season and attend workouts at 6:30 a.m. twice a week. In addition, cheerleaders are required to participate in many on- and off-campus events during the year.
There are no out-of-pocket expenses as a game day cheerleader. All game day necessities and travel are provided by the University. In addition, scholarships are now provided for members of the Spirit Squad, the increments are below:
- First year members: $750 (split $375 per semester)
- Second year members: $1,000 (split $500 per semester)
- Third year members: $1,500 (split $750 per semester)
- Fourth year members: $1,500 (split $750 per semester)
(You must cheer the ENTIRE year to qualify for scholarships, unless you graduate early.)
Spring Tryouts are held every April. Typically, a spring tryout fills all squads; however if any spots are open, a fall tryout would take place. For more information, visit our tryout webpage.