T.I.G.E.R! Pals is the newest addition to the Be a T.I.G.E.R.! Initiative. This is an old-fashioned pen pal program that matches a student-athlete with a child in a group home situation, homeless shelter or community center. Student-athletes write personal notes of encouragement weekly using the theme of our character education program and volunteer their time to visit their assigned child.
This year the program is being coordinated by Heather Cummings and is partnered with local community organizations. If you are a student-athlete that would like to get involved please contact Heather Cummings at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you would like for your students to participate in the program please contact Linda White at email@example.com.
Goals of the Program:
- Be a positive influence for the children at these local community organizations.
- Be a source of encouragement to the children.
How it Works:
- Student-athletes commit to mentoring one of the children at the participating organizations.
- Each week, a new theme focused on one of the characteristics' traits is posted for the student-athletes to write about.
- The student-athlete writes to their mentee to talk about the characteristics of the Be a T.I.G.E.R! Program.
- Finally, the letter is delivered to the child. This happens every week of the fall semester.