T.I.G.E.R! Talk is on of the four components of our character education program entitled, Be a T.I.G.E.R! and supplements the newspaper, assembly programs and personal appearances, as well as our annual field day in the spring.
T.I.G.E.R! Talk was developed as an on line mentoring program in partnership with Clemson's Eugene Moore School of Education. It works like this:
- Using the Digital Express System, Athletics is provided with an extra port for on-line discussions
- Prompts have been developed that are designed to teach the character education program and guide the discussions
- The program can be completed in 6 weeks or 12 weeks
- Student Athletes volunteer to be on line mentors and are assigned students to talk with
- A designated teacher reviews student responses and approves before sending to Clemson student-athletes
- A designated official reviews athlete responses and approves before sending to students
- Conversations take place weekly
- Initially a group of athletes goes to the school to present the program and gives each mentee a bio of their assigned athlete
- Prizes can be earned by participants for completion of each level of the program
- Student Athletes will visit their mentee at the school at the completion of the program
This year, the T.I.G.E.R! Talk program will be coordinated by Emily Howard (diving). Emily can be reached by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.