Constitution of the Tiger Letterwinners Association of Clemson University
ARTICLE 1 - Organization
The Tiger Letterwinners Association is composed of former student-athletes of Clemson University as well as former managers, trainers, coaches, cheerleaders, Rally Cats, mascots, and friends of the Clemson University Athletic Department. The purpose of the Association is to:
- Afford the opportunity for fellowship among members of the Association.
- Honor former Clemson University student-athletes, coaches, and others associated with the Clemson University Athletic Department through election to the Clemson University Athletic Hall of Fame.
- Provide outreach to former Clemson student athletes and other members of the Association through the use of mail, e-mail, clemsontigers.com, Twitter, and Facebook.
- Educate coaches and current student-athletes about the history of athletics at Clemson University.
ARTICLE II - Membership
There shall be two classes of memberships in the Association, namely:
- Active Member - Any former student of Clemson University who received an athletic letter from the Clemson University Athletic Department shall be eligible for membership upon his/her compliance with the provisions of the Constitution. In addition, all active coaches and assistant coaches of an intercollegiate sport shall be eligible to be members of the Association.
- Honorary Member - Other persons who are considered to have made significant contributions to the Clemson Athletic program by service thereto shall be eligible for honorary membership upon the approval of three fourths of the members of the Board of Directors of the Association attending a duly scheduled meeting. Honorary members are not required to pay dues and do not have voting privileges.
ARTICLE III - Officers and Directors
The Association shall be governed by a Board of Directors consisting of a total of at least 15 persons as described below, including a Board Chair / President, Vice-President, and Executive Director. In addition, all past-presidents of the Association, the Clemson University Athletic Director, and the Executive Director of the IPTAY Scholarship Fund shall be members of the Board and shall have all the rights of duly elected members. The Board shall elect its own Chair who will preside at all meetings. The Board Chair will also serve as President of the Association for two years.
Each elected Director shall serve a term of two years and will be voted on by the Board of Directors for re-election.
Members of the Board of Directors shall elect new members to fill any vacancies. The Board will make every effort to insure that all sports are represented on the Board and that men's and women's sports have adequate representation as well.
Officers of the Association shall be elected by the Board of Directors and shall serve a term of two years.
- The Chair of the Board of Directors shall also serve as President of the Association, presiding over any meetings held by the Association. In the event of his/her absence, the Vice-President shall preside.
- The Executive Director shall be appointed by the Clemson University Athletic Director and approved by the Association Board of Directors and shall keep the minutes and records of the Board of Directors as well as those of the Association.
The Board of Directors at any meeting consisting of at least eight members present shall transact any business not in conflict with this Constitution.
ARTICLE IV - Finances
Dues shall be determined annually by the Board of Directors and must be paid in order to remain an active member. Honorary members are not required to pay dues.
The fiscal year of the Association shall be identical to that of the Athletic Department.
ARTICLE V - Meetings
Meetings of the Association may be called by the President and/or Executive Director and the Executive Director shall be responsible for notifying the membership of such meetings.
Any board member missing four consecutive meetings may, at the discretion of the board, be retired from the board, or, if a Past President, he/she may, at the discretion of the board, be moved to an Emeritus position with no voting privileges.
ARTICLE VI - Amendments
Amendments and modifications to the Constitution may be made by a vote of approval of at least 2/3 of the members of the Board of Directors present. The Executive Director shall notify all members of the Board of Directors at least two weeks prior to any meeting at which amendments to the Constitution will be discussed.