CLEMSON, S.C. - The Clemson volleyball team opens the 2014 season by hosting the 24th Annual Big Orange Bash this weekend. The Tigers begin the tournament versus USC Upstate at 3 p.m. on Friday, Aug. 29, and face Austin Peay in the nightcap at 7 p.m. The tournament continues Saturday with Clemson matches against UNC Asheville (1 p.m.) and Troy (5 p.m.).
In addition to the four Clemson contests, USC Upstate, Austin Peay, UNC Asheville and Troy also square off in Tigertown this weekend. The complete schedule for the tournament is available here. All matches take place in Jervey Gym and are open to the public with free admission.
Clemson has the advantage in the series against USC Upstate (3-1), UNC Asheville (6-0) and Troy (2-0). One of the Tigers’ two wins against the Trojans was a 3-1 victory in the Clemson Classic a year ago. This will be the first meeting between the Tigers and Austin Peay. The Big Orange Bash serves as the beginning of the 2014 regular season for all five teams in the tournament.
All Clemson matches will be broadcast live for free via TigerCast on ClemsonTigers.com. Fans can also follow @ClemsonVB on Twitter for periodic match updates.
Some quick Clemson notes for the weekend:
- This is the 38th volleyball season at Clemson; the all-time record sits at 786-514.
- Last year the Tigers finished 12th in the ACC with a 15-16 record overall; 9-11 in the ACC.
- Clemson returns nine letterwinners from last season and five starters, including the libero.
- The Tigers have five seniors, all of which are expected to be key contributors this season.
- Clemson has four newcomers on the roster this season, three freshmen and one transfer.