BLACKSBURG, Va. – The Clemson women’s tennis team fell to Virginia Tech 7-0 on the road on Saturday afternoon in Blacksburg, Va. With the loss, the Tigers drop to 5-4 (1-1 ACC), while the Hokies remain undefeated, improving to 7-0 (1-0 ACC).
Virginia Tech claimed the doubles point with wins at No. 1 and 2, in that order. The Hokies made it 2-0 with a win by default at No. 6 singles, and clinched the match by following with wins at the No. 4 and No. 1 singles spots. Sophomores Sydney Riley and Constanza Gorches, playing at No. 2 and No. 5 singles, respectively, split the first two sets against the Virginia Tech opponents, but then fell in their respective super tiebreak sets.
Clemson returns to action next Friday, March 2 against Florida State. The match will be played at the Hudlow Tennis Center in Norcross, Ga. starting at 12 p.m. This is a change in location from the originally announced site of the AU Tennis Center in Anderson, S.C. If the match is forced indoors due to inclement weather, it will be played at Lifetime Fitness in Peachtree Corners, Ga.
Clemson 0, Virginia Tech 7
1. #61 Natalie Novotna (VT) def. Fernanda Navarro (CU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Caroline Daxhelet (VT) def. Sydney Riley (CU) 2-6, 7-6(5), 1-0 (10-6)
3. Elena Cerezo-Codina (VT) def. Tate Schroeder (CU) 6-4, 6-2
4. Nika Kozar (VT) def. Daniela Ruiz (CU) 6-2, 6-0
5. Katherine Butler def. Constanza Gorches 7-5, 1-6, 1-0 (10-7)
6. Nina Sorkin (VT) def. Ally Miller-Krasilnikov (CU) by default
Order of finish: 1, 2
1. Daxhelet/Novotna def. Miller-Krasilnikov/Schroeder 6-2
2. Baron/Cerezo-Codina def. Gorches/Navarro 6-3
3. Kozar/Sorkin vs. Riley/Ruiz 5-3 unfinished
Order of finish: 6, 4, 1*, 3, 5, 2