CARY, N.C. - The 16th-ranked Tigers opened the 2014 ACC Tournament with a 4-0 victory over Boston College Thursday afternoon at the Cary Tennis Center in Cary, N.C. With the win, fifth-seeded Clemson (20-7) advances to Friday's ACC Quarterfinals to face fourth-seeded Notre Dame.
In doubles action, Austin Ansari and Luke Johnson, playing at flight two, defeated their Boston College opponents 8-3. The duo of Hunter Harrington and Dominique Maden, ranked ninth nationally, clinched the doubles point for the Tigers with an 8-4 win on Court 1. Ansari and Johnson improved to 17-5, while Harrington and Maden won their 20th dual doubles match of the season, improving to 20-1.
Maden, playing at flight one singles for the second straight match, made quick work of his Eagle opponent with a 6-0, 6-1 win. Alejandro Augusto gave Clemson a 3-0 lead with a straight-set win (6-2, 6-3) on Court 3. Johnson then clinched the 4-0 victory for the Tigers with a 6-1, 7-5 win at flight four.
Clemson faces 13th-ranked Notre Dame in the quarterfinal round of the tournament Friday at 12 p.m. By virtue of their number-four seed, the Irish had a bye in the first round and will play their first-ever ACC Men's Tennis Tournament match on Friday against the Tigers.
#16 Clemson 4, Boston College 0
1. #76 Dominique Maden (CU) def. Philip Nelson (BC) 6-0, 6-1
2. #51 Hunter Harrington (CU) vs. Jonathan Raude (BC) 3-6, 6-1, 1-1, unfinished
3. Alejandro Augusto (CU) def. Aiden McNulty (BC) 6-2, 6-3
4. Luke Johnson (CU) def. Hank Workman (BC) 6-1, 7-5
5. Austin Ansari (CU) vs. Kyle Childree (BC) 6-2, 4-1, unfinished
6. Brent Lett (CU) vs. Matt Wagner (BC) 7-5, unfinished
Order of finish: 1,3,4
1. #9 Hunter Harrington/Dominique Maden (CU) def. Philip Nelson/Matt Wagner (BC) 8-4
2. Austin Ansari/Luke Johnson (CU) def. Jonathan Raude/Alexandre Thirouin (BC) 8-3
3. Alejandro Augusto/Zachary Kennedy (CU) vs. Kyle Childree/Hank Workman (BC) 6-6, unfinished
Order of finish: 2,1