#20 Tigers Down Georgia Tech in Atlanta Friday Night
ATLANTA, Ga. - In their final regular season match, the 20th-ranked Tigers defeated #74 Georgia Tech 5-2 at the indoor courts at the Ken Byers Tennis Complex in Atlanta, Ga. on Friday night. With the win, Clemson concluded the regular season with a 19-7 overall record and a 6-5 mark in ACC play, while the Yellow Jackets fell to 7-14 overall (1-10 ACC) with the loss.
After the Yellow Jackets defaulted at flight three and Augusto and Dudley dropped an 8-5 decision at two, the doubles point came down to the match on Court 1. Georgia Tech's 48th-ranked team of Benito and Seguro fought against Hunter Harrington and Dominique Maden, but the 17th-ranked Tiger duo ultimately won 8-6 to finish the regular season with a 19-1 record in dual matches.
Clemson took a 2-0 lead when the Jackets defaulted at flight six, and Luke Johnson made it 3-0 Tigers with a straight-set win at five. Georgia Tech got a point back with a win at flight four, as the matches on Courts 1, 2 and 3 headed to three sets. Playing at flight two, 54th-ranked Harrington won his third set handily (6-4, 6-7(6-8), 6-1) to clinch the victory for Clemson.
The Tigers will wait until Sunday evening to find out their seed and opponent for the 2014 ACC Tournament, which begins Thursday, April 24 in Cary, N.C.
#20 Clemson 5, #74 Georgia Tech 2
1. Nathan Rakitt (GT) def. #68 Dominique Maden (CU) 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
2. #54 Hunter Harrington (CU) def. Carlos Benito (GT) 6-4, 6-7 (6-8), 6-1
3. Alejandro Augusto (CU) def. Eduardo Segura (GT) 6-3, 4-6, 7-6 (7-3)
4. Cole Fiegel (GT) def. Austin Ansari (CU) 6-1, 6-4
5. Luke Johnson (CU) def. Colin Edwards (GT) 6-1, 6-2
6. Robert Dudley (CU) def. No player (GT), by default
Order of finish: 6,5,4,2,3,1
1. #17 Hunter Harrington/Dominique Maden (CU) def. #48 Carlos Benito/Eduardo Segura (GT) 8-6
2. Nathan Rakitt/Cole Fiegel (GT) def. Robert Dudley/Alejandro Augusto (CU) 8-5
3. Luke Johnson/Austin Ansari (CU) def. No player/No player (GT), by default
Order of finish: 3,2,1