#20 Tigers Fall to #13 Duke in Durham
DURHAM, N.C. - The 20th-ranked Tigers fell to 13th-ranked Duke on Friday afternoon in Durham by a score of 7-0. The match was closer than the final score indicated, as four of the six singles matches went to three sets. Clemson dropped to 18-6 (5-4 ACC) with the loss, while the Blue Devils improved to 15-5 (7-1 ACC).
The Blue Devils claimed the doubles point with wins at flight two and three. The Tigers top doubles team of Hunter Harrington and Dominique Maden, ranked 31st nationally, won their match, 8-4, over 64th-ranked Fred Saba and Raphael Hemmeler, to improve to 17-1 in dual matches on the season.
Duke took a 3-0 lead in the team score with wins at flight six and one singles. After dropping their first sets, Maden, Austin Ansari and Luke Johnson won second sets to force third sets at number two, four and five singles, respectively. The Blue Devils ultimately won the remaining singles matches for the 7-0 win.
The road does not get any easier for the Tigers, as they travel to Chapel Hill to face #8 North Carolina on Sunday at 11 a.m.
#20 Clemson 0, #13 Duke 7
1. #42 Jason Tahir (DU) def. #56 Hunter Harrington (CU) 6-2, 7-5
2. #50 Fred Saba (DU) def. #99 Dominique Maden (CU) 7-5, 5-7, 6-2
3. Raphael Hemmeler (DU) def. Alejandro Augusto (CU) 5-7, 6-3, 7-5
4. #88 Bruno Semenzato (DU) def. Austin Ansari (CU) 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
5. Josh Levine (DU) def. Luke Johnson (CU) 6-2, 3-6, 7-6(7-4)
6. TJ Pura (DU) def. Robert Dudley (CU) 6-1, 6-2
Order of finish: 6,1,3,5,4,2
1. #31 Hunter Harrington/Dominique Maden (CU) def. #61 Fred Saba/Raphael Hemmeler (DU) 8-5
2. Jason Tahir/Josh Levine (DU) def. Robert Dudley/Alejandro Augusto (CU) 8-4
3. Bruno Semenzato/Cale Hammond (DU) def. Luke Johnson/Austin Ansari (CU) 8-5
Order of finish: 1,2,3