Harrington's Upset Clinches Win for Clemson Over Virginia Tech
CLEMSON, S.C. - Hunter Harrington upset the 19th-ranked player in the nation in three sets to clinch #17 Clemson's victory over #38 Virginia Tech on Sunday afternoon at the Hoke Sloan Tennis Center. The final score was 5-2. With the win, the Tigers improve to 18-5 (5-3 ACC), while the Hokies fall to 11-8 (4-4 ACC) with the loss.
Senior Dominique Maden, playing in his final regular season home game, and Alex Augusto won in straight sets at flight two (6-3, 6-4) and three (7-5, 6-3), respectively to give Clemson a 3-0 lead in the team score. Virginia Tech then won at five and six singles to bring the team score to 3-2. Playing at flight one against the 19th-ranked player in the nation, Harrington lost a first-set tiebreaker but came back strong in sets two and three to record the upset, 6-7, 6-0, 6-3, and clinch the victory for the Tigers.
Clemson has three regular season contests remaining. All three are on the road, and two of the three are against opponents ranked 13th or better nationally. The team travels to Durham, N.C. to face #13 Duke on Friday, April 11, and then to Chapel Hill to face #9 North Carolina on Sunday, April 13.
#17 Clemson 5, #38 Virginia Tech 2
1. #82 Hunter Harrington (CU) def. #19 Amerigo Contini (VT) 6-7 (3-7), 6-0, 6-3
2. Dominique Maden (CU) def. #120 Andreas Bjerrehus (VT) 6-3, 6-4
3. Alejandro Augusto (CU) def. Hunter Koontz (VT) 7-5, 6-3
4. Austin Ansari (CU) def. Joao Monteiro (VT) 5-7, 7-6 (7-4), 7-6 (7-5)
5. Florian Nicoud (VT) def. Luke Johnson (CU) 2-6, 6-4, 6-3
6. Aaron Gomez (VT) def. Zachary Kennedy (CU) 7-6 (13-11), 6-2
Order of finish: 2,3,6,5,1,4
1. #25 Hunter Harrington/Dominique Maden (CU) def. #64 Andreas Bjerrehus/Amerigo Contini (VT) 8-4
2. Robert Dudley/Alejandro Augusto (CU) def. Hunter Koontz/Joao Monteiro (VT) 8-2
3. Luke Johnson/Austin Ansari (CU) def. Nic Wilson/Florian Nicoud (VT) 8-3
Order of finish: 2,3,1