CLEMSON, S.C. - Despite a valiant effort, #17 Clemson fell to No. 4 Virginia by a score of 4-3 Friday afternoon at the Hoke Sloan Tennis Center. The loss dropped the Tigers to 17-5 (4-3 ACC) while the Cavaliers improved to 16-2 (7-0 ACC) and extended their ACC winning streak (includes regular and postseason) to 114 straight matches.
The Tigers earned the hard fought doubles point. Luke Johnson and Austin Ansari finished first with an 8-5 win over their Cavalier counterparts at three. Alejandro Augusto and Robert Dudley battled but lost in a tiebreak on court two, 8-7 (5), and the point came down to flight one. Hunter Harrington and Dominique Maden did not disappoint, winning 8-7 (3). The Tiger duo, ranked 25th in the nation, improved to 20-3 on the season and has now won nine out of the last 10 matches.
Virginia took a 3-1 lead with wins at flight four, six and three singles, before the Tigers began their comeback attempt. Maden, who dropped his first set at flight two, came back and won the next two in convincing fashion (3-6, 6-2, 6-3). Then Johnson won a close match in straight sets on court five (7-6, 7-5) to tie the team score at 3-3. At flight one, Harrington fell to the 24th-ranked player in the country, Alex Domijan, in a three-set heartbreaker (4-6, 7-5, 6-1).
Clemson looks to rebound when it hosts No. 38 Virginia Tech on Sunday. The match will begin at 1 p.m. at the Hoke Sloan Tennis Center. Live stats will be available on ClemsonTigers.com and in-match updates can also be found on Twitter @ClemsonMTennis.
#17 Clemson 3, #4 Virginia 4
1. #24 Alex Domijan (VA) def. #82 Hunter Harrington (CU) 4-6, 7-5, 6-1
2. Dominique Maden (CU) def. #40 Ryan Shane (VA) 3-6, 6-2, 6-3
3. #112 Thai-Son Kwiatkowski (VA) def. Alejandro Augusto (CU) 6-3, 7-5
4. Justin Shane (VA) def. Austin Ansari (CU) 6-4, 6-1
5. Luke Johnson (CU) def. #76 Jordan Daigle (VA) 7-6 (7-5), 7-5
6. J.C. Aragone (VA) def. Robert Dudley (CU) 6-4, 6-4
Order of finish: 3,2,1
1. #25 Hunter Harrington/Dominique Maden (CU) def. Justin Shane/Luca Corinteli (VA) 8-7 (7-3)
2. Alex Domijan/Harrison Richmond (VA) def. Alejandro Augusto/Robert Dudley (CU) 8-7 (7-5)
3. Luke Johnson/Austin Ansari (CU) def. Thai-Son Kwiatkowski/Jordan Daigle (VA) 8-5
Order of finish: 4,6,3,2,5,1