RALEIGH, N.C. - Alejandro Augusto defeated Thomas Weigel in three sets at number-three singles in what proved to be the clinching match as #22 Clemson defeated #43 NC State in an Atlantic Coast Conference men's tennis match in Raleigh, NC Saturday afternoon. With the victory, the Tigers improved to 17-3 overall and 4-1 in the ACC, while the Wolfpack fell to 11-7 overall and 0-5 in league play.
At number-one singles, the Tigers' 82nd-ranked Hunter Harrington upset #47 Austin Powell in straight sets, 6-4, 6-3. Austin Ansari also won his singles match at flight four to help Clemson to victory.
In doubles action, the Tigers' 25th-ranked duo of Harrington and Dominique Maden defeated Robbie Mudge and Ian Dempster 8-7 to clinch doubles point for the Tigers, after Ansari and Luke Johnson won their match at flight three.
Clemson plays ACC-foe Wake Forest Sunday afternoon at 1:00 p.m. at Winston-Salem, NC
#22 Clemson 4, #43 NC State 3
1. #82 Hunter Harrington (CU) def. #47 Austin Powell (NCSU) 6-4, 6-3
2. Robbie Mudge (NCSU) def. Dominique Maden (CU) 6-4, 5-7, 6-2
3. Alejandro Augusto (CU) def. Thomas Weigel (NCSU) 6-2, 2-6, 6-4
4. Austin Ansari (CU) def. Sean Weber (NCSU) 6-1, 6-3
5. Simon Norenius (NCSU) def. Luke Johnson (CU) 6-0, 6-2
6. Parker McGuiness (NCSU) def. Robert Dudley (CU) 6-3, 6-3
Order of Finish: 4,1,3,5,2,6
1. #25 Harrington/Maden (CU) def. #50 Mudge/Ian Dempster (NCSU) 8-7 (7-2)
2. Weber/Norenius (NCSU) def. Augusto/Dudley (CU) 8-7 (7-2)
3. Ansari/Johnson (CU) def. Powell/Weigel (NCSU) 8-5
Order of Finish: 2,3,1