#20 Tigers Fall to #11 Notre Dame 5-2 Friday
CLEMSON, SC - The 20th-ranked Tigers fell 5-2 in a hard fought match to 11th-ranked Notre Dame on Friday afternoon at the Hoke Sloan Tennis Center. The Tigers fell to 15-3 (2-1 ACC) while Notre Dame improved to 12-5 (2-1 ACC) with the victory. The loss ended a four-match winning streak for the Tigers, who must now regroup before they host Boston College on Sunday.
The match was much closer than the final score would indicate, however.
The Tigers earned the crucial doubles point with victories on courts one and three. The duo of Hunter Harrington and Dominique Maden defeated Greg Andrews and Alex Lawson of Notre Dame, the 18th-ranked team in the nation 8-3 on court one. On court three, Luke Johnson and Austin Ansari defeated their Irish counterparts 8-3.
In singles play, Maden continued his success, winning his match handily, 6-0, 6-1 at flight two. He is now riding a six-match winning streak and is 10-2 in dual matches on the season. Notre Dame then won the final five matches to earn the 5-2 decision.
Clemson returns to action on Sunday when it hosts Boston College (4-6, 0-2 ACC) at 11 a.m.
#20 Clemson 2, #11 Notre Dame 5
1. #28 Greg Andrews (ND) def. #90 Hunter Harrington (CU) 6-4, 6-3
2. Dominique Maden (CU) def. Quentin Monaghan (ND) 6-0, 6-1
3. Ryan Bandy (ND) def. Alejandro Augusto (CU) 6-7 (3-7), 6-4, 1-0 (10-8)
4. Josh Hagar (ND) def. Austin Ansari (CU) 6-3, 7-5
5. Eddy Covalschi (ND) def. Luke Johnson (CU) 6-4, 6-2
6. Eric Schnurrenberger (ND) def. Robert Dudley (CU) 6-3, 6-3
Order of finish: 2,1,5,6,4,3
1. Hunter Harrington/Dominique Maden (CU) def. #18 Greg Andrews/Alex Lawson (ND) 8-3
2. Josh Hagar/Billy Pecor (ND) def. Alejandro Augusto/Robert Dudley (CU) 8-3
3. Austin Ansari/Luke Johnson (CU) def. Eddy Covalschi/Quentin Monaghan (ND) 8-3
Order of finish: 3,1