#21 Clemson Defeats #55 Texas Tech 4-2
MONTGOMERY, AL - Hunter Harrington defeated Felipe Soares at number-one singles in clinching the match and leading #21 Clemson to a 4-2 victory over #55 Texas Tech in the Blue-Gray Men’s National Tennis Classic in Montgomery, AL Sunday. With the victory, Clemson captured third place in the prestigious event.
With the win, Clemson is now 12-2 overall, Texas Tech falls to 5-5 on the year. Other teams and their final places follow: 1. Boise State, 2. Va. Commonwealth, 3. Clemson, 4. Texas Tech, 5. Alabama, 6. Auburn, 7. Mississippi State, 8. Princeton.
After winning the doubles point, the Tigers won three singles matches to claim the victory. At number-two singles, Clemson’s Dominique Maden defeated #101-ranked Hugo Dojas 6-5, 6-4. The Tigers’ Luke Johnson d. Johann Willems 6-1, 6-4 at number–four singles.
Harrington then defeated Soares of Texas Tech at number one singles 6-5, 5-6, 6-1 to clinch the match for the Tigers.
The Tigers will play host to South Carolina on Wednesday, March 5, in the Tigers’ next action.
Clemson 4, Texas Tech 2
1. Hunter Harrington (CU) d. Felipe Soares (TT) 6-5, 5-6, 6-1
2. Dominique Maden (CU) d. #101 Hugo Dojas (TT) 6-5, 6-4
3. Alejandro Augusto (CU) vs. Francisco Zambon (TT) DNF
4. Luke Johnson (CU) d. Johann Willems (TT) 6-1, 6-4
5. Maxime Hinnisdaels (TT) d. Fernando Sala (CU) 6-4, 6-3
6. Jolan Cailleau (TT) d. Robert Dudley (CU) 2-6, 6-3, 6-2
1. Harrington/Maden (CU) d. Dojas/Maxime Hinnisdaels (TT) 6-1
2. Augusto/Dudley (CU) vs. Felipe Soares/Johann Willems (TT) DNF
3. Ansari/Johnson (CU) d. Carlos DiLaura/Francisco Zambon (TT) 6-2