Clemson Defeats College of Charleston 4-0
CLEMSON, SC - Clemson defeated the College of Charleston 4-0 in a men’s intercollegiate tennis match at Clemson, SC Friday morning. This was the first match of a double header for the Tigers as Clemson will play Wofford at 4:30 p.m.
Clemson improves to 5-1 overall, while the College of Charleston opened its season today.
Clemson won the doubles point as the doubles team of Hunter Harrington and Dominique Maden won their match over Brice Allanic and Charlie Ghriskey 6-5 at number-one doubles. Harrington and Maden are now 8-2 overall this season.
In singles play, Harrington gave the Tigers a 2-0 advantage when he won his match at number-one singles over Rodrigo Encinas of the College of Charleston 6-1, 6-3. Harrington is now 9-5 overall in singles play this year.
The Tigers took a 3-0 lead when Maden defeated Allanic at number-two singles 6-2, 6-1. Maden improves to 6-4 in singles this year.
Luke Johnson clinched the match for the Tigers as he defeated Crescente Lesser of Charleston at number-four singles 6-3, 6-1. Johnson is 6-3 this season in singles and is 4-0 in dual match play.
“Before the match, I told our players that we must be prepared and ready to play,” said McCuen. “We got off to a slow start in doubles, but we responded well in singles. We were more focused and came out more prepared in singles play.”
1. Hunter Harrington (CU) d. Rodrigo Encinas (CC) 6-1, 6-3
2. Dominique Maden (CU) d. Brice Allanic (CC) 6-2, 6-1
3. Alejandro Augusto (CU) vs. Charlie Ghriskey (CC) Unfinished
4. Luke Johnson (CU) d. Crescente Lesser (CC) 6-3, 6-1
5. Robert Dudley (CU) vs. Alon Faiman (CC) Unfinished
6. Brent Lett (CU) vs. Zach Lewis (CC) Unfinished
1. Harrington/Maden (CU) d. Allanic/Chriskey (CC) 6-5 (7-3)
2. Faiman/Stephen Hardy (CC) d. Augusto/Dudley (CU) 6-2
3. Zachary Kennedy/Johnson (CU) d. Encianas/Josh Record (CC) 6-4