Clemson 25, LSU 24: Inside the Numbers of a Landmark Clemson Victory
Courtesy: Clemson Sports Information
- With the victory, Clemson became the first ACC team to defeat LSU since 1955. Maryland, ranked number-one in the nation at the time, defeated LSU that year at College Park on November 5, 1955 by a 13-0 score. LSU had won 19 straight over ACC teams (in the league at the time of the game) entering the 2012 Chick-fil-A Bowl.
- LSU was 9-1 in the Georgia Dome entering the Clemson game, including 5-0 in the Chick-fil-A Bowl.
- LSU was 36-1 in non-conference games under Les Miles (coach since 2005) entering the game with Clemson. The only loss was a 19-17 loss to Penn State in the 2010 Capital One Bowl. Thirty of the 36 LSU wins were by double digits. They had won 29 straight against teams ranked 12th in the AP poll or worse (or unranked). Since the start of the 2009 season, LSU was 39-2 when scoring 20 points or more. The only losses were to Mississippi (25-23 in 2009) and Arkansas (31-23 in 2010).
- LSU was 31-3 when a running back reached at least 100 yards under Les Miles. Jeremy Hill gained 124 yards in 12 carries against Clemson, but the Tigers still won the game.
- LSU had a 44-5 record under Les Miles when winning the turnover margin. LSU won the turnover margin against Clemson 2-1, but the Tigers won the game 25-24.
- LSU had won 29 straight games when leading heading into the fourth quarter and was 101-8 when leading entering the fourth period in the last 11 years. But, Clemson outscored LSU 12-0 in the final period to win 25-24.
- LSU was 50-3 under Les Miles, including 36-0 the last six years, when holding the opposition under 100 yards rushing. Clemson had 99 against LSU, yet won the game.
- LSU had a 29-10 record in games decided by seven points or less under Les Miles, including 12-3 over the last three years. But, Clemson won the game by a point. It was LSU's first loss by one point since a 31-30 loss at Arkansas in 2008.
- LSU has the second longest streak of consecutive weeks in the AP poll entering the Chick-fil-A Bowl with 63 in a row. Only Alabama has a longer streak with 79 straight.
- Clemson defeated the winningest program in the SEC over the last 10 years when Dabo Swinney's team downed Les Miles LSU squad in the Chick-fil-A Bowl. LSU was 107-24 over the last 10 years with a league best eight top 25 seasons and three SEC titles the last 10 years.
- Clemson trailed by a 24-13 score entering the fourth period of the 2012 Chick-fil-A Bowl, but came back to win 25-24. It was the first time Clemson won a bowl game that the Tigers trailed entering the fourth period since the 1959 Bluebonnet Bowl. Clemson trailed TCU, 7-3, entering the fourth period of that game, but scored 20 straight points in the fourth to win 23-7. Like LSU, TCU was ranked seventh in the nation entering the game.
- Clemson's victory over seventh ranked (USA Today) LSU was the highest ranked SEC team (either poll) an ACC team has defeated since the 2003 season when Clemson defeated sixth ranked Tennessee in the Chick-fil-A Bowl, 27-14.
- Clemson's defense held LSU to eight three-and-outs in 15 possessions, the most against LSU this year and the highest percentage of three-and-outs (53.3 percent) by an opposing defense. Clemson's defense also had six sacks, the most sacks against LSU's offense this year.
- Clemson's offense had 32 first downs and 36 completions, the most against the LSU defense in each category this year. DeAndre Hopkins 191 receiving yards and 13 receptions were season highs against the LSU defense this year.
- Clemson defeated two SEC teams this year, the first time Clemson has done that since the 2003 season when Clemson defeated South Carolina and Tennessee. Over the last two years the ACC has four wins against the SEC and Clemson has three of the four.
- Clemson overcame an 11-point deficit entering the fourth quarter to win by one point, 25-24. It is the largest fourth quarter deficit overcome to gain victory since the 2006 Wake Forest game when Clemson trailed by 14 points (17-3) entering the final period, then won the game 27-17.
- But, this was the first game in Clemson history in which Clemson scored twice within the last three minutes to win a game by seven points or less. The closest occurrence was the 1980 Virginia game when Clemson scored a touchdown and a field goal with less than four minutes left to win 27-24.