NEW HAVEN, CT - The Walter Camp Football Foundation has announced the names of 15 "Players to Watch" for its 2012 Player of the Year award, the fourth-oldest college football award in the nation.
Clemson quarterback Tajh Boyd is among the 15 players named. Boyd ranks second in the nation in passing efficiency with a 172 figure, on pace for a Clemson single season record. He has 28 touchdown passes and averages 330.4 yards per game in total offense, both top 10 figures nationally. Boyd has 13 touchdown passes in the first half of the last three games combined and has led Clemson to a 9-1 record. All nine wins have been by at least two touchdowns.
The 15-player watch list includes nine quarterbacks, three running backs, two defensive players and one wide receiver. Boyd and Florida State quarterback E.J. Manuel are the only ACC players in the final 15.
The 2012 Walter Camp Player of the Year recipient, who is voted on by the Football Bowl Subdivision head coaches and sports information directors, will be presented on Thursday, December 6 during the 6 p.m. edition of ESPN SportsCenter.
The winner will receive his trophy at the Foundation's annual national awards banquet on Saturday, January 12, 2013 at the Yale University Commons in New Haven. Sponsorships and tickets are available by calling (203) 288-CAMP.
2012 Walter Camp Player of the Year "Players to Watch"
- MONTEE BALL, Senior, RB, Wisconsin - Has rushed for 1,226 yards and 16 touchdowns for 7-3 Badgers.
- MATT BARKLEY, Senior, QB, USC - Has passed for 2,972 yards and 33 touchdowns for the 7-3 Trojans.
- KENJON BARNER, Senior, RB, Oregon - Has rushed for 1,360 yards and 19 touchdowns for 10-0 Ducks.
- TEDDY BRIDGEWATER, Sophomore, QB, Louisville - Has passed for 2,858 yards and 21 touchdowns for the 9-1 Cardinals.
- TAJH BOYD, Junior, QB, Clemson - Has accounted for 3,304 yards of total offense and 33 touchdowns (28 passing, 5 rushing) for 9-1 Tigers.
- COLBY CAMERON, Senior, QB, Louisiana Tech - Has passed for 3,283 yards and 27 touchdowns for 9- 1 Bulldogs.JOHNATHAN FRANKLIN, Senior, RB, UCLA - Has rushed for 1,270 yards and 8 touchdowns for 8-2 Bruins.
- JARVIS JONES, Junior, LB, Georgia - Has 56 tackles, 10.5 quarterback sacks, and 5 forced fumbles for 9- 1 Bulldogs.
- COLLIN KLEIN, Senior, QB, Kansas State - Has accounted for 2,768 yards of total offense and 31 touchdowns (19 rushing, 12 passing) for the 10-0 Wildcats.
- MARQISE LEE, Sophomore, WR, USC - Has 98 receptions for 1,447 yards and 13 touchdowns for 7-3 Trojans.
- EJ MANUEL, Senior, QB, Florida State - Has passed for 2,641 yards and 19 touchdowns for 9-1 Seminoles.
- JOHNNY MANZIEL, Freshman, QB, Texas A&M - Has passed for 2,780 yards and 18 touchdowns and rushed for 1,014 and 15 scores.
- AJ MCCARRON, Senior, QB, Alabama - Has passed for 2,158 yards and 20 touchdowns for 9-1 Crimson Tide.
- BRAXTON MILLER, Sophomore, QB, Ohio State - Has 2,919 yards of total offense and 27 touchdowns (14 passing, 13 rushing) for 10-0 Buckeyes.
- MANTI TE'O, Senior, LB, Notre Dame - Has totaled 92 tackles and six interceptions for the 10-0 Fighting Irish.