Game Information vs. Georgia Tech:
Who: Clemson Tigers (10-3, 0-0 ACC) at Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (11-3, 0-1 ACC)
When: Sunday, Dec. 31 at 2 p.m.
Where: McCamish Pavilion, Atlanta, Ga.
Watch: ACC Network Extra
Live Stats: RamblinWreck.com
Follow: Twitter & Instagram: @ClemsonWBB
Clemson Team Notes:
- The Tigers are 10-3 and are coming off of a 67-65 victory at FIU on Dec. 21 to close nonconference play. In the game, Clemson came from behind, down 11 points with 3:20 remaining, and outscored the Panthers 17-4 in the final three minutes of play. Junior Danielle Edwards scored nine of the Tigers’ points in the run, and senior Alexis Carter hit the game-winning layup at the buzzer to clinch the victory.
- In the past two seasons, the Tigers have a 21-5 (.808) record in nonconference play (11-2 in 2016-17 and 10-3 in 2017-18). It is the best two-year nonconference record for the program since the 1997-98 and 1998-99 seasons, when Clemson was 23-4 (.852) in two seasons.
- Through 13 games and as of games through Dec. 28, 2017, the Tigers are ranked first in the Atlantic Coast Conference and third in the nation in field goal percentage defense (32.3%). The team is also first in the ACC and fourth nationally in scoring defense (51.2%) and first in the conference and sixth nationally in three-point field goal percentage defense (23.6%).
Clemson Player Notes:
- Edwards leads the Tigers in scoring with 11.1 points per game. She also leads the team in steals (42, 3.2 per game) and assists (22, 1.7 per game.)
- Edwards’ 42 steals put her at third among ACC players and 15th among all players nationally. Her steals per game figure is third in the conference and 22nd in the nation.
- Edwards is shooting 88.6% from the free throw line (39-for-44), and ranks second in the ACC and 23rd in the nation in that category.
- The Tigers have two players in the top 10 in the ACC in blocked shots. Freshman Tylar Bennett (31, 2.4 per game) is third in the ACC, while sophomore Kobi Thornton (21, 1.6 per game) is ninth in the league. Bennett’s numbers place her at 20th nationally in blocked shots and 26th in blocked shots per game.
- Thornton, an ACC All-Freshman Team selection last season, ranks third on the Clemson team in scoring (8.6 points per game) and leads the Tigers in rebounding (7.3 rebounds per game).
- In Clemson’s 67-66 Big Ten/ACC Challenge win at Nebraska on Nov. 30, Edwards bested her previous career-high by 10 points, going off for 33 points in 33 minutes in Lincoln. The point guard from Perry Hall, Md. shot 9-for-15 (60%) from field goal range, including 5-for-9 (55.6%) from three-point range, and was also a perfect 10-for-10 from the free throw line.
- In the Tigers’ 66-30 win over Charleston Southern on Dec. 2, Carter led 11 different Tigers in the scoring column with 12 points. Those 12 points were scored on a perfect 12-for-12 performance from the free-throw line. With that performance, Carter tied the Clemson record for perfect free throw games, joining Itoro Umoh who was 12-for-12 against North Carolina on Feb. 1, 1998.
- Clemson leads the all-time series against Georgia Tech with a 44-35 record.
- The Tigers and Yellow Jackets split their two meetings in 2016-17.
- On Jan. 29, 2017, the Tigers claimed an exciting 62-61 victory over the Yellow Jackets at Littlejohn Coliseum. Aliyah Collier posted a double-double in the contest with 21 points and 12 rebounds. Ten of her 21 points were scored over the final 3:47, which included two three-point plays and a 4-for-4 performance from the free throw line.
- On Feb. 23, 2017, the Jackets got the best of the Tigers by a score of 72-58 in Atlanta. Thornton scored in double figures with 14 points and grabbed a team-high seven rebounds in the contest.