Yana Koroleva and Beatrice Gumulya pulled off the upset, defeating the No. 9 duo in the nation, 8-6, but for just the third time all season, the Tigers dropped the doubles point. The win improves the Tiger duo's record to 11-3 in dual match play this season. Virginia began the day with a 8-4 victory on court three over Jessy Rompies and Yuilynn Miao. Entering the match, Rompies and Miao had been on an eight-match winning streak and undefeated in conference play. They fall to 12-2 overall and 7-1 in the ACC. With doubles even at one apiece, the point came down to the result on court two. The match was hotly contested, going to a tiebreak, but the Cavaliers ultimately prevailed, winning 8-7 and earning the doubles point.
The Tigers were able to capture two victories in singles play, but it was not enough. Jessy Rompies cruised to a straight set victory on court five, winning 6-3, 6-3. Romy Koelzer followed suit at the second flight, defeating the 50th-ranked player in the nation 7-6, 7-5. The win was the 10th in a row for Koelzer, who now holds the longest current winning streak on the team. Tristen Dewar raced out to an early first set victory, winning 6-1, but fell in the match losing the last two sets 1-6, 2-6.
After playing seven of the past eight matches away from Clemson, the Tigers will look to rebound when they return home for the remainder of the regular season. Next up for Clemson is Syracuse who will visit the Hoke Sloan Tennis Center on Friday, April 11. The match will begin at 2:30 p.m.
1. #26 Yana Koroleva/Beatrice Gumulya (CU) def. #9 Julia Elbaba/Rachel Pierson (UVa) 8-6
2. Stephanie Nauta/Li Xi (UVa) def. #78 Tristen Dewar/Romy Koelzer (CU) 8-7
3. Danielle Collins/Maci Epstein (UVa) def. Jessy Rompies/Yuilynn Miao (CU) 8-4
Order of Finish: 3,1,2*
1. #3 Julia Elbaba (UVa) def. #46 Yana Koroleva (CU) 6-4, 6-4
2. #64 Romy Koelzer (CU) def. #33 Danielle Collins (UVa) 7-6, 7-5
3. Stephanie Nauta (UVa) def. Beatrice Gumulya (CU) 4-6, 6-3, 6-2
4. #50 Rachel Pierson (UVa) def. #93 Tristen Dewar (CU) 1-6, 6-1, 6-2
5. Jessy Rompies (CU) def. Maci Epstein (UVa) 6-3, 6-3
6. Caryssa Peretz (UVa) def. Yuilynn Miao (CU) 7-6, 6-2
Order of Finish: 5,1,4,3*,2,6
Clemson - 17-4, 9-1 ACC
UVa - 15-4, 9-1 ACC