CLEMSON, S.C. - Luke Johnson defeated Grayson Goldin at number-five singles in clinching the match and leading #22 Clemson to a 5-2 victory over #34 Florida State in a men's Atlantic Coast Conference tennis match at Clemson, SC Tuesday afternoon.
With the victory the Tigers improve to 15-2 overall, 2-0 in the ACC. Florida State falls to 12-5 overall, 1-1 in league action.
The Tigers won the doubles point to take a 1-0 lead in the match. Florida State evened the score at number-six singles as Jake Albo defeated Clemson's Fernando Sala 6-1, 6-2. At number-four singles, Marco Nunez of Florida State defeated Austin Ansari at number-four singles 6-2, 6-1 as the Seminoles took a 2-1 lead.
At number-one singles Hunter Harrington of Clemson defeated the Seminoles' Dominic Cotrone 7-6, 6-4. Harrington now has a 17-7 record overall, and a 10-4 mark in dual matches.
Clemson took a 3-2 lead in the match as Alejandro Augusto won over Cristian Gozales 7-6, 6-3 at number-three singles. Augusto now has a 12-6 record overall, and a 9-2 mark in dual matches.
Johnson clinched the match over Goldin at number-five singles 3-6, 6-3, 6-4. Johnson is 14-4 overall and 12-1 in dual match play this year. Dom Maden of Clemson defeated Blake Davis 3-6, 7-5, 1-0 to round out the match and make the final score 5-2. Maden has a 12-5 record overall and a 9-2 mark in dual matches this year. Johnson is featured on the following video:
"It was a total team effort," said Clemson Head Coach Chuck McCuen. "I was very proud of our effort in finishing our matches. I was very happy for Luke Johnson today and also the way Dominique Maden finished his match. It was a great win for us today."
Clemson will play host to Notre Dame on Friday, March 21, in the Tigers' next action.
#22 Clemson 5, #34 Florida State 2
1. Hunter Harrington (CU) d. Dominic Cotrone (FS) 7-6, 6-
2. Dominique Maden (CU) d. Blake Davis (FS) 3-6, 7-5, 1-0 (10-3)
3. Alejandro Augusto (CU) d. Cristian Gonzales (FS) 7-6, 6-3
4. Marco Nunez (FS) d. Austin Ansari (CU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Luke Johnson (CU) d. Grayson Goldin (FS) 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
6. Jake Albo (FS) d. Fernando Sala (CU) 6-1, 6-2
Order of Finish: 6, 4, 1, 3, 5, 2
1. Harrington/Maden (CU) d. Davis/Cotrone (FS) 8-4
2. Nunez/Goldin (FS) d. Augusto/Robert Dudley (CU) 8-3
3. Ansari/Johnson (CU) Gonzales/Michael Rinaldi (FS) 8-2
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1