Tigers Advance to NCAA Championships Second Round with 4-1 Win Over Purdue
LEXINGTON, Ky. - The 21st-ranked Tigers opened the 2014 NCAA Championships with a 4-1 win over Purdue on Friday afternoon at the Hilary J. Boone Varsity Tennis Center in Lexington, Ky. With the win, Clemson (21-8) advances to the second round of the national tournament on Saturday, while the Boilermakers conclude their season at 15-8.
In doubles action, the nation's ninth-ranked team of Hunter Harrington and Dominique Maden made quick work of their Boilermaker opponent on flight one, winning 8-1. Austin Ansari and Luke Johnson clinched the doubles point for the Tigers with an 8-4 victory on Court 3.
Just as singles play was about to begin, rain began falling in Lexington and the match was moved indoors. The Tigers took the move in stride, with Maden (6-0, 6-4) and Harrington (6-2, 6-4) defeating their Purdue counterparts at the top of the lineup to bring the team lead to 3-0. Ansari had a battle on his hands on Court 4, but ultimately persevered 7-6(5), 6-3 to clinch the 4-1 win for Clemson.
The Tigers face the winner of No. 1-seed and regional-host Kentucky and No. 4-seed Denver, who square off this afternoon. First serve for the second round match is Saturday at 3 p.m.
2014 NCAA Men's Tennis Championship, Lexington Regional
(No. 2 Seed) #16 Clemson 4, (No. 3 Seed) #40 Purdue 1
Hilary J. Boone Varsity Tennis Center - Lexington, Ky.
Friday, May 9, 2014
Match Duration: 3:10
1. No. 48 Hunter Harrington (CU) def. Szymon Tatarczyk (PUR) 6-2, 6-2
2. No. 80 Dominique Maden (CU) def. Ricky Medinilla (PUR) 6-0, 6-4
3. Mark Kovacs (PUR) def. Alejandro Augusto (CU) 6-4, 7-5
4. Austin Ansari (CU) def. Aaron Dujovne (PUR) 7-6 (5), 6-3
5. Luke Johnson (CU) led Diego Acosta (PUR) 6-1, 3-0 DNF
6. Mateus Silva (PUR) led Brent Lett (CU) 3-2 DNF
Order of finish: 2,1,3,4
1. No. 9 Dominique Maden/Hunter Harrington (CU) def. Aaron Dujovne/Diego Acosta (PUR) 8-1
2. Alejandro Augusto/Robert Dudley (CU) led No. 58 Szymon Tatarczyk/Ricky Medinilla (PUR) 5-3 DNF
3. Luke Johnson/Austin Ansari (CU) def. Mateus Silva/Mark Kovac (PUR) 8-4
Order of finish: 1,3