CHAPEL HILL, N.C. - Playing their second top-13 opponent on the road in three days, the 20th-ranked Tigers dropped a 6-1 decision to #8 North Carolina on Sunday in Chapel Hill, N.C. The loss dropped Clemson's record to 18-7 (5-5 ACC), while the Tar Heels improved to 22-3 (9-1 ACC) with the win.
In doubles play, Clemson's 31st-ranked team of Hunter Harrington and Dominique Maden won an 8-3 decision over North Carolina's 27th-ranked team of Brayden Schnur and Brett Clark on Court 1. The Tar Heels won 8-3 at flight two, which left the doubles point up to Court 3. The Tigers' Austin Ansari and Luke Johnson fought back from a 7-4 deficit to tie the match at 7-7, but ultimately fell 7-2 in the tiebreaker as North Carolina claimed the doubles point.
North Carolina won five of the six singles matches in straight sets. Maden, ranked 99th nationally, was a bright spot for the Tigers at flight two. He upset the Tar Heels' 26th-ranked Ronnie Schneider, 7-6(9-7), 6-2. It was Maden's third win over a ranked singles player in the last four contests, and moved him to 14-4 in dual matches this season.
The Tigers have one regular season match remaining - versus #72 Georgia Tech on Friday, April 18 at 6 p.m. in Atlanta, Ga.
#20 Clemson 1, #8 North Carolina 6
1. #10 Brayden Schnur (UNC) def. #56 Hunter Harrington (CU) 6-3, 6-3
2. #99 Dominique Maden (CU) def. Ronnie Schneider (UNC) 7-6(9-7), 6-2
3. #68 Brett Clark (UNC) def. Alejandro Augusto (CU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Oystein Steiro (UNC) def. Austin Ansari (CU) 6-2, 6-3
5. Jack Murray (UNC) def. Luke Johnson (CU) 6-1, 6-1
6. Nelson Vick (UNC) def. Brent Lett (CU) 6-1, 6-1
Order of finish: 4,5,6,3,1,2
1. #31 Hunter Harrington/Dominique Maden (CU) def. #27 Brayden Schnur/Brett Clark (UNC) 8-3
2. Oystein Steiro/Nelson Vick (UNC) def. Robert Dudley/Alejandro Augusto (CU) 8-3
3. Jack Murray/Ronnie Schneider (UNC) def. Luke Johnson/Austin Ansari (CU) 8-7(7-2)
Order of finish: 1,2,3