No. 15 @ClemsonWTennis Takes Down NC State, 7-0
By: Clemson Athletic Communications
CLEMSON, SC - The 15th-ranked Clemson women’s tennis team improved to 2-0 in the ACC with a convincing, 7-0, win over NC State on Friday afternoon at the Hoke Sloan Tennis Center. The Tigers improve to 9-3 overall on the season while the Wolfpack dropped to 6-2 (1-2 ACC).
The Tigers success against the Wolfpack continued as Clemson has now won 13 straight in the series, and 41 of 45 all-time meetings.
For the 11th time in 12 matches, Clemson earned the doubles point. The Tigers were in complete control on all three courts with victories on courts two and three. Tristen Dewar and Romy Koelzer rolled to a 8-1 victory while Jessy Rompies and Ani Miao cruised to a 8-2 win.
Yana Koroleva and Beatrice Gumulya, ranked 33rd, had a 7-3 lead in their match, but it was left unfinished. Individually, Rompies’ win was the 10th of the dual match season, a team-high. The sophomore is 21-4 overall in doubles with all partners, and 6-1 with Miao.
In singles play, the scoring came slowly, but once the first singles match was on the board, Miao’s 6-4, 6-0 win on court four, the rest came in bunches.
Koroleva, ranked 41st, took down Joelle Kissell, 6-2, 6-4, despite going down an early break in the second set. Koroleva rattled off four straight games in improving to 15-6 on the year, and 43-14 in her career.
Tristen Dewar, the 100th-ranked player in the nation, defeated Liza Fieldsend 6-4, 6-3 on court four. The win extends her current streak to five straight and puts her at 8-2 in dual matches this year.
Jessy Rompies won in straight sets 6-2, 6-2 on court six, which also extended her win streak to five. Both Rompies and Dewar lead the team with their respective streaks.
Clemson returns to action on Sunday when the Tigers host No. 38 Wake Forest. The match will begin at noon. Live scoring will be available on ClemsonTigers.com and periodic updates will be available on Twitter and Instagram, @ClemsonWTennis.
Tennis Match Results
NC State vs Clemson
Feb 28, 2014 at Clemson, SC
(Hoke Sloan Tennis Center)
#15 Clemson 7, NC State 0
1. #41 Yana Koroleva (CU) def. Joelle Kissell (ST) 6-2, 6-4
2. #67 Romy Koelzer (CU) def. Rachael James-Baker (ST) 6-2, 7-5
3. Beatrice Gumulya (CU) def. Nicole Martinez (ST) 6-4, 6-1
4. #100 Tristen Dewar (CU) def. Liza Fieldsend (ST) 6-4, 6-3
5. Yuilynn Miao (CU) def. Elisha Hande (ST) 6-4, 6-0
6. Jessy Rompies (CU) def. Natalia Janowicz (ST) 6-2, 6-2
1. #33 Yana Koroleva/Beatrice Gumulya (CU) vs. Joelle Kissell/Sophie Nelson (ST) 7-3, unfinished
2. Tristen Dewar/Romy Koelzer (CU) def. Elisha Hande/Nicole Martinez (ST) 8-1
3. Jessy Rompies/Yuilynn Miao (CU) def. Rachael James-Baker/Liza Fieldsend (ST) 8-2
NC State 6-2, 1-2 ACC
Clemson 9-3, 2-0 ACC; National ranking #15
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (5,1,4,6,3,2)
Koroleva's Clinching point. Koelzer closes her match