#41 Boise State Defeats #21 Clemson 4-3
MONTGOMERY, AL - Garrett Patton defeated Austin Ansari at number-four singles in clinching the match and leading #41 Boise State to a 4-3 win over #21 Clemson in the semifinal round at the Blue Gray Men’s National Tennis Classic at Montgomery, AL Saturday evening.
Boise State improves to 8-2 overall, while Clemson falls to 11-2 this season. The Tigers will play Texas Tech for third place on Sunday at 12:00 p.m. est in the last day of this event.
Clemson won the doubles point and then won two singles matches to take a 3-0 lead in the match. The Tigers’ Hunter Harrington defeated Andrew Bettles at number-one singles 6-1, 6-1. Harrington is now 14-6 overall in singles matches this season.
The Tigers’ Dominique Maden won at number-two singles as he defeated Nathan Sereke 6-4, 6-3. Maden is 9-5 overall in singles this season.
Boise State then won the remaining singles matches to take the 4-3 victory. The last match on the courts was at number-four singles where Patton defeated Ansari 2-6, 6-4, 6-5.
Clemson 3, Boise State 4
1. Hunter Harrington (CU) d. Andrew Bettles (BS) 6-1, 6-1
2. Dominique Maden (CU) d. Nathan Sereke (BS) 6-4, 6-3
3. Thomas Tenreiro (BS) d. Alejandro Augusto (CU) 6-4, 6-3
4. Garrett Patton (BS) d. Austin Ansari (CU) 2-6, 6-4, 6-5
5. Brendan McClain (BS) d. Luke Johnson (CU) 6-5, 6-1
6. Toby Mitchell (BS) d. Fernando Sala (CU) 6-3, 6-4
1. Harrington/Maden (CU) d. McClain/Patton (BS) 6-2
2. Bettles/Tenteiro (BS) d. Augusto/Dudley (CU) 6-4
3. Ansari/Johnson (CU) d. Mitchell/Sereke (BS) 6-5