‘92 Grad Audra Smith Leads @ClemsonWBB to Virginia
Who: CLEMSON TIGERS (11-11, 3-5 ACC) at VIRGINIA CAVALIERS (11-10, 4-4 ACC)
When: Sunday, Feb. 2 at 2 pm
Where: Charlottesville, VA (John Paul Jones Arena)
Watch: Virginia Sports.com ($)
Listen: Clemson Tiger Sports Network (Don Munson, Dory Kidd) & Clemson Tigers Official App
Next Game: Clemson vs. #3 Duke • Thurs., Feb. 6, 7 p.m. • Littlejohn Coliseum
CLEMSON, SC - Audra Smith will lead the Clemson Women’s Basketball squad into her alma mater, Virginia, on Sunday for a 2 p.m. showdown in Charlottesville, VA. The Tigers (11-11, 3-5 ACC) are looking for a third consecutive win overall, and second in a row over the Cavaliers (11-10, 4-4 ACC) after a 64-62 win last season in Littlejohn.
Clemson has no shortage of connections to the University of Virginia. Smith, who played four seasons at Virginia, also spent 11 seasons on the bench as an assistant coach for the Cavaliers under Debbie Ryan before taking her post at UAB. Associate Head Coach Daryl Oliver spent two seasons on staff at Virginia as well, and Director of Basketball Operations, Kathy Becker, is a 2002 Virginia grad and four-year letterwinner. Smith’s husband, Anthony Oliver, also played for four seasons at the school.
The Tigers come in having won two in a row after a thrilling victory in Atlanta on Thursday night, 80-79 in overtime. Nikki Dixon drove the length of the court for a layup with 8.5 seconds to play, and the Tigers came up with a stop on the other end to seal the win. Dixon became the 23rd player in school history to reach the 1,000 point plateau, and moved into 22nd in school history with 1,019 points.
Last season, Clemson overcame an eight-point deficit with 2:15 to play to win after Dixon gave Clemson the lead with 34.4 seconds on a three-pointer.
Clemson is 30-38 all-time against Virginia, and just 10-20 in Charlottesville.
Notes (in 140 characters or less):
- Head Coach Audra Smith is a 1992 graduate of UVa, where she played 4 years, and coached for 11 under Debbie Ryan
- DOBO Kathy Becker was a 4-year letterwinner from 1998-02
- Assoc. HC Daryl Oliver also spent 2 seasons on the bench as an assistant
- Clemson is 9-1 this season when leading at half, and 11-1 with higher FG% (Led at half, shot higher % at Syracuse)
- Offense has shot .420 or higher in 6 of 8 ACC games, incl. last 3
- Four Tigers have scored 20+ in a game this season (KG, ND, QP, CT)
- Nikki Dixon has scored 19+ points 9 of last 10 gms (7 of 8 ACC)
- Dixon scored 1,000th pt at GT; Ranks 5th at 20.4 ppg in ACC play
- Nyilah Jamison-Myers has scored 37 points over last 4 gms, (15-24 fg)
- Kelly Gramlich has hit 3+ 3FG in 8 games this yr, incl. 8 vs. SCST
- Quinyotta Pettaway has dbl-figures in 3 straight (14.0 ppg, 8.0 rpg)
- C. Lindsay ranks 4th in ACC at 34.3 mins/game; 3rd in ACC play w/ 5.0 apg
- C. Tay has 20+ pts twice this season, 2nd on team w/ 9.4 ppg, 5.7 rpg