#23 Clemson Defeats Gardner-Webb 7-0
The Tigers’ Dominique Maden and Hunter Harrington did not play in today’s matches.
“Today was a great time for our true freshmen to gain experience and for us to throw them in the fire,” said Clemson Head Coach Chuck McCuen. “And I think our young people responded well. It’s great being 3-0 to start the season. It’s also great gaining confidence and momentum. I know our guys are excited. Our players have been working hard and now they are off to a good start,” said McCuen.
“We gave the game ball to Brent Lett. He lost his match against Presbyterian earlier, but he came back and won against Gardner-Webb. He responded well and I am very proud of Brent.
“We do have a lot of young people on the team this year. They may be young in age but they are not young in tennis. Our freshmen have a lot of junior and international experience and this should help us as the season progresses,” said McCuen.
Clemson has 13 players on the roster this year, the Tigers have 10 newcomers and eight freshmen.
Clemson will play in the ITA Kickoff Weekend in Oxford, MS on January 25 and 26. Clemson’s first round opponent is Illinois.
Clemson 7, Gardner-Webb 0
1. Alejandro Augusto (CU) Benjamin Kaszas (GW) 6-1, 6-4
2. Austin Ansari (CU) Nikita Zverkov (GW) 6-2, 6-1
3. Luke Johnson (CU) Ernest Alberch (GW) 6-4, 6-3
4. Robert Dudley (CU) Brendan Dempsey (GW) 6-4, 6-1
5. Fernando Sala (CU) Jonathan Walker (GW) 6-2, 6-0
6. Brent Lett (CU) Pepe Batalla (GW) 6-0, 6-1
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 4, 3, 5, 6
1. Augusto/Dudley (CU) d. Kaszas/Zverkov (GW) 6-5 (7-5)
2. Ansari/Johnson (CU) d. Walker/Alberch (GW) 6-2
3. Strawn/Kennedy (CU) d. Nicholas Lofrumento/A.J. Stillwell (GW) 6-3
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1