CLEMSON, SC - #23 Clemson won the first match of a Sunday doubleheader with a 6-1 victory over Presbyterian at Clemson, SC Sunday afternoon. The Tigers will play Gardner-Webb at 4:00 p.m. in the second match of the twin bill.
Clemson improves to 2-0 on the year while Presbyterian falls to 0-1 this season. This victory marked the 13th straight over the Blue Hose in the series that started in 1926. The Tigers last lost to Presbyterian in 1976.
The Tigers did not play two of its top two players in the match today. Hunter Harrington and Dominique Maden sat out today’s first match. However, the Tigers responded well as Alejandro Augusto defeated Grayson Mills at number-one singles 4-6, 6-3, 6-5. Augusto is now 4-4 on the season.
At number-two singles the Tigers’ Austin Ansari won over Rafael Berghaus 6-1, 5-6, 6-3 at number-two singles. Luke Johnson won his match over the Blue Hose’s Joel Roberts 6-2, 6-5 at the number-three spot.
Presbyterian claimed its only win of the day at number-six singles as Ben Kelley of Presbyterian defeated Brent Lett 6-1, 5-6, 1-0 (12-10).
The Tigers won the doubles point highlighted by the win at number-one doubles as Augusto and Dudley defeated Presbyterian’s Mills and Berghaus 6-3.
Clemson will play Gardner-Webb at 4:00 p.m. (today) in the Tigers’ next action.
Clemson 6, Presbyterian 1
1. Alejandro Augusto (CU) Grayson Mills (PC) 4-6, 6-3, 6-5
2. Austin Ansari (CU) d. Rafael Berghaus (PC) 6-1, 5-6, 6-3
3. Luke Johnson (CU) d. Joel Roberts (PC) 6-2, 6-5
4. Robert Dudley (CU) d. Gonzalos Asis (PC) 6-4, 2-6, 6-1
5. Fernando Sala (CU) d. Diego Manzanas (PC) 6-3, 6-2
6. Ben Kelley (PC) d. Brent Lett (CU) 6-1, 5-6, 1-0 (12-10)