Rollins Set for Orlando Trip and The Bowerman Ceremony
The Bowerman is the track & field equivalent of college football's Heisman Trophy, and is named in honor of legendary Oregon coach and innovator Bill Bowerman. ESPN SportsCenter anchor John Anderson is hosting the event, which will be streamed live on Flotrack.org starting with a red carpet show at 6:30 on Wednesday.
This is the fifth year The Bowerman has been awarded. Previous female winners are Jenny Barringer of Colorado (2009), Queen Harrison of Virginia Tech (2010), Jessica Beard of Texas A&M (2011) and Kimberlyn Duncan of LSU (2012).
Rollins turned professional after a terrific senior season and in a span of two months, set the American record (12.26) in the 100 hurdles and won USA and World Championships in the event as well. She was named the 2013 Jackie Joyner-Kersee recipient for female athlete of the year by USA Track & Field earlier this month.
The Bowerman votes, which only consider collegiate accomplishments, have been tabulated and sealed by an independent accounting firm. Below are some of Rollins' 2013 collegiate accolades and achievements.
Rollins' 2013 Collegiate Accomplishments
- NCAA Champion in the 60 hurdles
- NCAA Champion in the 100 hurdles
- Broke NCAA records in the 60 hurdles (7.78) and 100 hurdles (12.39) and national meet records in both events as well
- USTFCCCA first-team All-American with the 4x100 relay (third place)
- USTFCCCA National Outdoor Track Athlete of the Year
- USTFCCCA Southeast Region Indoor and Outdoor Track Athlete of the Year
- ACC Indoor and Outdoor Track Athlete of the Year
- ACC Indoor Champion in the 60 hurdles
- ACC Outdoor Champion in the 100 hurdles, 200 dash & 4x100 relay
- Two-time USTFCCCA National Athlete of the Week
- Led Clemson to ACC Indoor and Outdoor Championships titles and was part of a senior class that earned four-year sweep
- Undefeated over 17 races (prelims and finals) in the 60 hurdles and 100 hurdles
- Established five of the top 10 times in NCAA history, including the top three, in the 60 hurdles
- Established the two best times in NCAA history in the 100 hurdles
- Earned a spot on ESPN SportsCenter's Top 10 plays on June 8 for record-breaking 100 hurdles performance
- Set facility records at famed venues Randal Tyson Track Center (Arkansas) and Hayward Field (Oregon)