@ClemsonVB Takes On Wake Forest in Winston-Salem Sunday
By: Clemson Athletic Communications
CLEMSON, SC - The Clemson volleyball team will travel to Reynolds Gym in Winston-Salem, NC to play Wake Forest on Sunday at 1 p.m. The match will be broadcast live on WakeForestSports.com for a fee as Clemson (12-14, 6-9 ACC) goes for the season sweep against the Demon Deacons (15-12, 4-11 ACC).
The Tigers are 30-12 all-time against Wake Forest, which includes a big comeback victory in five sets for Clemson earlier this season in Jervey. Clemson came back from a 2-0 deficit and won a match for the first time since 2009,
The Tigers tallied 16.0 blocks, including seven in the deciding fifth set, and held the Demon Deacons to only ten kills over the final two sets. They were also able to side out on 17 of 20 Wake Forest serves in the final two sets.
Mo Simmons became just the seventh player in school history to record at least 1,000 kills and 1,000 digs in a career after her 10 kill, 11 dig performance at Georgia Tech on Thursday. She currently has registered 1302 kills and 1009 digs thus far. Simmons leads the ACC and ranks eighth nationally at 4.57 kills per set. She is approaching the Clemson single-season top-ten in kills, kills per set, and attempts in a single season.
Setter Hannah Brenner moved into 5th on Clemson’s career assists, passing Jerry Yurkanin. Brenner now stands at 3,701 assists in her career, and needs just 22 to pass former Wake Forest Head Coach Heather Kahl for fourth in Clemson history.
Notes (in 140 characters or less):
- Senior Mo Simmons leads the ACC and is 8th nationally at 4.57 kills/set
- Her 5.02 pts/set is also 1st in the ACC and 14th in the nation
- Simmons became just the 7th player in school history with 1,000 kills and 1,000 digs; She stands at 1302 kills and 1009 digs
- Leah Perri earned her 2nd ACC Freshman-of-the-Week honors last week, and had a career-high 16 kills vs. UNC on Friday
- Perri’s 14-0-21 (.667) hitting night vs. ND is tops by any ACC player in a league match this season
- Beta Dumancic ranks 6th in the ACC at 1.29 blocks per set
- Irem Bayramoglu’s 0.30 aces/set is the 9th-best average in the ACC
- Kristin Faust is third on the team with seven double-doubles this season, including 1 at libero
- Hannah Brenner has 3,701 career assists, just 22 out of 4th place in CU history
- Brenner ranks 6th in the ACC at 9.45 ast/set
- Libero Niki Collier is 2nd on the team with 311 digs and established a new career-high 22 against Virginia Tech
- Clemson ranks 4th in the ACC at 15.38 digs/set