Clemson Downs Baylor, 4-3, on Friday
The match was only the second of the season in which the opponent was not ranked in the top-25. Baylor dropped to 1-9 against ranked opponents on the season.
The Tigers won the doubles point for just the third time this season, with decisive wins on courts two and three, while court one sparred with a top-25 doubles duo until the point was clinched.
Yana Koroleva and Romy Koelzer teamed up for an 8-2 win on court two, while Beatrice Gumulya and Ani Miao won their match, 8-3 on court three. Liz Jeukeng and Tristen Dewar trailed the No. 23 doubles tandem in the country, 6-5, when play was called with the point clinched.
In singles, Clemson freshman Tristen Dewar wasted little time in taking down junior Alex Leatu, 6-4, 6-0, to give the Tigers a 2-0 lead. Dewar won her 10th career match, and is now 4-3 at flight six.
Beatrice Gumulya, ranked 44th in the nation, beat No. 113 Megan Horter in straight sets, 6-3, 6-4 to improve to 14-3 on the year and 30-9 in her career. She has now won 25 of her last 28 matches overall.
Koroleva, ranked 27th in the nation, won her third match of the season over a top-15 foe, defeating No. 12 Ema Burgic, 6-1, 6-4. Koroleva, the defending ACC Player of the Week, has now won three in a row, and is 9-5 against ranked opponents this season.
Ani Miao and Romy Koelzer each dropped tough straight-set decisions on courts five, and four respectively, while freshman Liz Jeukeng was upset in three sets by Victoria Kisialeva. Jeukeng fell to 8-3 on the season, and 6-3 in dual match play.
Clemson will next play host to Furman on March 13 at 2:30 pm at the Hoke Sloan Tennis Center. The team will also host a charitable event, Tiger Tennis For Totes, on Saturday, March 9.
Final Score: Clemson defeats Baylor, 4-3
March 8, 2013 - Hoke Sloan Tennis Center - Clemson, SC
1. #23 Burgic/Kisialeva (BU) led Jeukeng/Dewar (CU), 6-5 (unfinished)
2. Koroleva/Koelzer (CU) def. Clay/Horter (BU), 8-2
3. Gumulya/Miao (CU) def. Leatu/Generette (BU), 8-3
Order of finish: 2,3*
1. #27 Yana Koroleva (CU) def. #12 Ema Burgic (BU), 6-1, 6-4
2. Victoria Kisialeva (BU) def. #29 Liz Jeukeng (CU), 3-6, 7-5, 1-0 (10-5)
3. #44 Beatrice Gumulya (CU) def. #113 Megan Horter (BU), 6-3, 6-4
4. Kiah Generette (BU) def. Romy Koelzer (CU), 7-6(0), 7-5
5. Maria Biryukova (BU) def. Ani Miao (CU), 6-3, 6-4
6. Tristen Dewar (CU) def. Alex Leatu (BU), 6-4, 6-0
Order of Finish: 6,3,1*,5,2,4