• His defensive backs were a big reason the 2014 defense led the nation in total defense (260.8), while it was in the top five in many other statistical categories. He also coached cornerback Garry Peters, who was a First-Team All-ACC selection.
• His defensive backs combined for 15 interceptions in 2013. Bashaud Breeland, who had a team-tying-high four interceptions and 74 tackles, was a Second-Team All-ACC selection and a fourth-round draft pick.
• His defensive backs were a big reason Clemson was 10th in the nation in turnovers forced (30) in 2013.
• Was the defensive backs coach at NC State for six seasons (2007-12).
• Has been an assistant coach at the college level for 10 years and at the NFL level for five seasons. He coached NC State All-American David Amerson, who is third in ACC history in career interceptions (18). As a professional coach with the Philadelphia Eagles, he worked with former Clemson All-American and nine-time Pro Bowl selection Brian Dawkins.
• Helped the Wolfpack to four bowl games in his six years with the program. That includes 2012, when NC State beat a top-five Florida State team and played Vanderbilt in the Music City Bowl.
• Three times in the last five years, NC State finished in the top 20 in the nation in interceptions, including 2012 when it was 20th with 16 interceptions.
• The 2011 NC State squad had 27 interceptions, the most by an FBS school since 2003, when Nebraska had 32. The total tied for second-most in ACC history and the most since 1994, when Virginia had 27 interceptions.
• In 2011, Amerson had 13 interceptions to lead the nation, five more than any other player. It tied for the third-most interceptions in NCAA history. Amerson also led the nation in interception return yards (205) and tied for the lead in interception returns for touchdown (2). Amerson was a unanimous All-American in 2011, when he was also a Thorpe Award finalist and won the Jack Tatum Award.
• In addition to Amerson, Reed also coached many other all-conference players at NC State. Amerson was a Second-Team All-ACC cornerback in 2012, while safety Earl Wolff was a first-team selection. Overall, four different NC State players earned All-ACC honors in his six seasons.
• Played on three bowl teams that finished with top-25 rankings in the AP poll, including the 1993 season when Boston College upset top-ranked Notre Dame in South Bend.
• Played three seasons for Tom Coughlin, who has gone on to win two Super Bowl Championships with the New York Giants, and his senior year for Dan Henning, who also went on to coach in the NFL.
• Was the last selection of the 1995 NFL draft by the Carolina Panthers and played two seasons (1995,96) for that team, including the 1995 team that played its home games at Memorial Stadium. He also played for the NFL Europe team in Frankfurt and was the team captain of the 1999 team that won the World Bowl Championship.
Bowl Participation as a Player